Redesigned Green Cards Impact Form I-9 Compliance
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced a redesign to the Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") and the Employment Authorization Document ("EAD"). USCIS is expected to begin issuing the new Green Cards and EADs on May 1, 2017.
Redesigned Green Cards
The new Green Cards and EADs will:
- Display the individual's photos on both sides;
- Show a unique graphic image and color palette:
- Green Cards will have an image of the Statue of Liberty and a predominately green palette; and
- EADs will have an image of a bald eagle and a predominately red palette;
- Have embedded holographic images; and
- No longer display the individual's signature
Also, Green Cards will no longer have an optical stripe on the back.
What Employers Need to Know
Employers should be aware of the following regarding the redesigned Green Cards and EADs:
- Both the existing and the new versions of Green Cards and EADs remain acceptable for purposes of Form I-9 and E-Verify compliance.
- Both the existing and the new Green Cards and EADs will remain valid until the expiration date shown on the card.
- Some older Green Cards, which do not have an expiration date, remain valid.
- Certain EADs held by individuals with Temporary Protected Status and other designated categories have been automatically extended.
- Some Green Cards and EADs issued after May 1, 2017 may still display the existing design format, as USCIS will continue using existing card stock until current supplies are depleted.
Information provided HR360, the award-winning online HR library featuring easy-to-understand guidance on federal and state labor laws and Health Care Reform along with interactive HR tools and hundreds of forms and posters.The information and materials herein are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended to constitute legal or other advice or opinions on any specific matters and are not intended to replace the advice of a qualified attorney, plan provider or other professional advisor. This information has been taken from sources which we believe to be reliable, but there is no guarantee as to its accuracy.